We know the problem so why don't we solve it?
Flicker in LED lighting is nothing new for lighting manufacturers. A high flicker LED can give the following symptoms
Discomfort and Fatigue: Flickering LEDs can cause discomfort and visual fatigue, leading to eyestrain and headaches for individuals exposed to the flicker, especially in poorly designed or low-quality LED products.
- Health Concerns: Prolonged exposure to flickering LED lights has been associated with health issues like migraines, photosensitive epilepsy, and exacerbation of other light-sensitive medical conditions.
- Reduced Visibility: Flickering can reduce the perception of motion and decrease visual acuity, which can be particularly hazardous in environments requiring precise vision, such as industrial or medical settings.
- Stroboscopic Effect: In some cases, flickering LEDs can create a stroboscopic effect, which can be dangerous when fast-moving objects, like vehicles or machinery, appear stationary or distorted due to the flicker.
- Inconsistent Color Rendering: Flickering LEDs may result in inconsistent color rendering, causing colors to appear differently than they should. This is problematic in applications where accurate color perception is crucial, such as in retail and art galleries.
- Disruption of Circadian Rhythms: Some LED lighting with flicker can interfere with circadian rhythms, potentially affecting sleep patterns and overall health, especially in residential and healthcare environments.
- Diminished Energy Efficiency: LEDs designed with poor quality drivers or control systems may flicker excessively, reducing their energy efficiency and potentially shortening their lifespan.
- Noise Interference: In some cases, flickering LED drivers can produce electromagnetic interference (EMI) that affects electronic devices and audio equipment.
- Regulatory Compliance Issues: Flicker in LED lighting may result in non-compliance with regulations and standards that limit flicker, potentially leading to legal and regulatory challenges for manufacturers and users.
- Reduced Lifespan: Frequent flicker can cause LEDs to degrade more quickly, reducing their overall lifespan and increasing maintenance costs.
- Customer Dissatisfaction: Flicker can lead to customer dissatisfaction, especially in commercial and residential settings where people expect stable and comfortable lighting environments.
- Complex Troubleshooting: Identifying and rectifying the sources of flicker can be a complex and time-consuming process, requiring specialized knowledge and equipment.
At Profiled we are working hard at minimising the harmfull flicker from our products, and we mark all our solutions with Low flicker.